Here's a couple of links to spring off of for ascender climbing.  The foot
ascenders look promissing.

A waste strap/line can also be passed around the mast and both ends
attached to the harness (one end on a carabiner for fast passing of
obstructions).  This is added safety to prevent accidentally twisting
upside down and you slipping out of the harness or chair.  This is one
reason I prefer a harness.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ascender+climbing&oq=ascender

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascender_(climbing)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2LK20hvHQyA