Yes, you must comply with the regulations. NO, if you modify your existing light by changing from the original bulb as supplied with the fixture, it is no longer  legally CERTIFIED BY THE MANUFACTURER as being in compliance. If you end up in court, you will have the burden of proving that the light you were using complied with the regulations. It will no longer be accepted as complying simply by virtue of being certified. It doesn't matter at all if your light now exceeds the requirements by 2 or 3 times the visibility. It is no longer CERTIFIED. People can try and make this as complicated and convoluted as they like, but the facts don't care. Meeting the requirements is not the same thing as CERTIFIED as meeting the requirements.

Bill Bina