I have a copy of Hinz's 'the complete book of anchoring and mooring' on board. A few years ago, when I was trying to get a few inches of waterline back, I gave away my Ashley's complete knots and JR's Annapolis book of Seamanship. (I kept Chapman's and Hinz's.)

Anchors are like religion.

You said that Rocnas are on sale. I have one. It's over sized for my boat, and has held me in 50K with gusts to 70, and I'm not embellishing. A few boats ended up on the beach/rocks that day, and one guy blew up his engine trying to stay off the beach. I took a nap. Really. (I was 20 miles away from the nearest boat, and wasn't dragging and no one could drag into me, so what the heck.) I normally let out 1.5 scope and let it set, then lay out more rode and back down on it. It has failed to grab on the first try twice. Once when the bottom was covered with sea grass, and the second time when the bottom was covered with small rocks. Those bottoms are a challenge for any anchor. I also like the roll bar, as I believe that it helps keep the rode from fouling on the anchor when the boat spins around on top of it during tide and current changes.

That said, I've had a 22 pound Danforth off the stern hold the boat fine in 25 knots when the wind changed. The bottom was good sand.

The comment about getting the right anchor for where and how you sail is also right on. If you just need a lunch hook, and never intend to leave the boat at anchor or sleep soundly at night, or can predict the weather with 100 percent accuracy, then you can choose/size an anchor appropriately. Beyond a doubt the anchor must be manageable, and if you don't have a windlass then your options will be constrained.

Note that all anchor manufacturers will make recommendations that make that anchor look best. If they recommend a bigger anchor they will create the impression that the anchor isn't as good as the competitor who recommends a smaller anchor, and could lose a sale. I probably could have followed Rocna's recommendation for my size/displacement boat, but wasn't willing to bet my boat and life on it.

As a final note, it's November, when the snowbirds and new folks show up. I also call it 'anchor dragging season,' when folks learn that the anchor they have doesn't actually hold except in calm conditions.

Wal

--
s/v Stella Blue
www.wbryant.com