I found the situation this spring in my pump just as Dennis described. Inside the Whale pump the internal threads for the screws holding the flapper in place were eaten away, making the pump junk. I replaced it with a Whale Mk 5 plastic pump, for about the half the price as the die-cast Whale.

Neil Gallagher
Weatherly 35-1
Glen Cove, NY