Graham Collins
Secret Plans
C&C 35-III #11

On 2014-12-03 11:12 AM, Rick Brass via CnC-List wrote:

Mike;

Josh is correct in saying the “F” in the model number of older Yanmar engines designated freshwater cooled, and the use of a heat exchanger on the engine. On a freshwater cooled engine the water/glycol coolant mix in the block is circulated through a heat exchanger – which is analogous to the radiator in your car. Raw water, drawn from outside of the boat, is circulated through the heat exchanger and removes the heat from the water/glycol coolant before being used to cool the exhaust gasses and being discharged overboard. In your car, the relatively cold air passing through the radiator takes the heat away from the water/glycol coolant in the engine.

If there is no “F” in the model number of an older Yanmar, it is a raw water cooled engine. Seawater is drawn from outside, pumped through the engine to cool it, then mixed with the exhaust to cool that, and then discharged overboard.

Now I said “older” Yanmar engines because every model in their current product line seems to come with a heat exchanger and fresh water cooling.

In response to another comment made about the “GM”, “HM”, “QM” model designation (the current engines are “YM”) that is a model series designation. It almost looks like it relates to the generation of emission controls present on the engine. I notice that the YM series is designed to meet the diesel emission standards that started to become effective in 2011 in the US.

So “2” or “3” is the number of cylinders. “GM” etc. is the engine series. “30” is the nominal horsepower. And “F” is freshwater cooled. (On the 4 cylinder engines “TE” is turbocharged, and “ETE” is intercooled and turbocharged.)

Your idea about having an engine powered heater for the boat is an interesting one. It would be relatively easy to tap the hot water/glycol cooling system (we do it all the time now for installing a water heater on the boat) and route some of the coolant through a radiator inside the cabin (analogous to the heater core in your car). An electric fan could provide air circulation. And you would want to come up with some sort of thermostatically controlled valve to throttle the flow of hot water to match the heating needs inside the cabin. Pretty doable, but the devil would be in the details.

Rick Brass

*Imzadi *C&C 38 mk 2

*la Belle Aurore *C&C 25 mk1

Washington, NC