I’ve been told by sailmakers that partially furling your sail is very, very bad
for the sail, especially on racing sails where the stress loads are designed to
be in particular places.

That being said, when I was in a race and was suddenly faced with a 40-mph
storm, furling was the easiest and fastest way to reduce sail.

        All the best,

        Edd

        Edd M. Schillay
        Starship Enterprise