From: "CNC boat owners, cnc-list" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
To: "Rick Brass" <rickbr...@earthlink.net>, "CNC boat owners, cnc-list"
<cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Sent: Saturday, December 6, 2014 10:18:58 PM
Subject: Re: Stus-List Navigation

Civilian GPS equipment is intentionally less accurate than military equipment.
Your government doesn't want you to know exactly where you are!

Joel

On Saturday, December 6, 2014, Rick Brass via CnC-List < cnc-list@cnc-list.com
> wrote:

Hope you are having a great, and warm, weekend, Dennis. It is rainy, gray, and
the high was about 60 in NC today. Not a nice day for boating.

We have all experienced the sort of GPS errors you mentioned at one time or
another. And because we all know that our GPS receiver can calculate out
position to an accuracy of 30 feet or so, we tend to think that the charts are
wrong. But that might not be the whole truth.

I’d bet NOAA had pretty good GPS location numbers on the buoys you “hit”, and
is not far off on the position of the seawall. The 10 to 30 foot accuracy our
GPS reports is based on things like the number and position of the satellites
from which it is getting signals, allowing for things like the accuracy of its
internal clock, inaccuracy in the chart datum, and the radio waves that carry
the time signals from the satellites getting “bent” by the Earth’s magnetic
field. But there is another variable that the GPS can’t allow for.

I remember reading, a few years ago, about the GPS system in one of the science
magazines aimed at geeks like me (Probably Scientific American or Air and
Space, but I can’t recall for sure). Seems the GPS system is a good example of
Einstein’s Theory of Relativity. Part of the theory says that when you go
faster, time slows down relative to time measured in a location that is moving
more slowly.

The GPS satellites are traveling at something like 18000MPH faster than we are
on the Earth’s surface. So the atomic clocks on the satellites “tick” just a
wee bit more slowly than the clock on earth. There is a government facility
outside of Omaha where military personnel are tasked with adjusting the clocks
on the satellites, by a few microseconds or nanoseconds, several times per day
to maintain the accuracy of the time signals relative to the earthbound time.
As I recall, if the clocks were not adjusted for 24 hours, the calculated
position of a spot on Earth would be off by something like 5 miles.

That’s probably more than you wanted to know. But you can probably chalk up all
those buoys the chartplotter boat ran into to Albert.

Oh, and another bit of Einstein trivia: He issued the original patents for the
recipe for Tolberone Chocolate, and the shape of the candy. Which is not
boating related, unless your Admiral likes really good chocolate.

Rick Brass

Washington, NC