Taxes...and in some jurisdictions sulfur content.  You are correct in that
generally a pump on the road will work fine with your boat.  Watch out
using fuel from the marina in you car because if it was un-taxed and dyed
red then it will stain your tank an make you subject to fines if found out
(unlikely).

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+