Edd;

Like several others, I would endorse the choice of going with golf cart
batteries (I'd use GC5s, not GC2s, but I'd have flooded golf cart batteries
in my boats if there was enough room in the locker that the batteries are
housed in to accommodate the height of the batteries.

You have raised the question of the batteries freezing. A fully charged wet
cell battery has a freezing temperature of 76 degrees below zero Fahrenheit.
It is true that the liquid in a flooded battery that is fully discharged is
around 30 degrees, since the liquid is almost 100% distilled water. But I
don't think I've ever seen a frozen battery - even is a winter stint at the
GM Arctic Proving Grounds years ago. Unless New Jersey is expecting an Ice
Age, I wouldn't worry.

Storage on the boat over the winter is also not a real problem - although
there are a lot of old wives' tales about taking batteries home for storage
and not setting them on concrete floors, and so forth. The accepted
self-discharge rate for a lead-acid battery is between 1.5 and 3% per month,
depending on storage conditions. The rate gets higher as the storage
temperature gets higher, but isn't really very high until you get over 100
degrees. AGM batteries are a bit less, but the chemistry is almost the same
and the lower rate for an AGM battery has more to do with the fact that the
AGM has less plate surface area in contact with the electrolyte mat, so the
reaction is slower.

You may want to think about how you use your boat when you make the decision
about batteries. You mention wanting 4 to 6 T-105 batteries in your house
bank. That's 450 to 675 AH in a 12 volt configuration, and that gives you a
lot of live aboard time. My 460 AH house bank will power my 38 for 2 to 3
days on the hook without recharging. (My biggest draw is for refrigeration
and that is more than half of the total.)

But  if I recall you mostly daysail and race, so what impact will 400 pounds
of batteries have on trim and performance? Do you need that much endurance?
Also, you say you only charge with your engine alternator. A 675 AH bank is
going to need a 75 amp (or more) alternator and a smart voltage regulator to
recharge it in any manageable amount of time, and at least a 60 amp charger
if you plug into shore power.

I have many years of experience in the marketing of batteries for industrial
vehicle, and I have an aversion to AGM batteries, so I'd recommend not using
them. YMMV.

Sure, you can lay them on their side. But laying your sailboat on its side
is slow, and flooded batteries - particularly the maintenance free versions
- don't generally leak liquid at normal angles of heel for reasonable
lengths of time.  AGM batteries are more demanding about proper charging
voltages (the regulator in your boat is almost certainly designed for
flooded cells, not AGMs, and will need to be replaced) and less forgiving
about being stored when partially discharged than flooded cells. And AGM
batteries have a significantly shorter service life - in terms of
charge/discharge cycles - than do flooded batteries. Plus they are a lot
more expensive.

I looked at the AGM batteries in your post. Trojan T125s from the same
supplier would have 15% more capacity and cost 15% less than the AGM. Two
Exide or Interstate 27 deep cycle batteries in parallel would have the same
capacity as two of these AGM GC2s wired in series and cost about half as
much.  These particular AGM batteries don't look like a particularly good
value to me.

Good luck making your decision

Rick Brass