I use much the same procedure that Robert described with my wet cell Great
Northern batteries (2 six V golf cart and 1 group 24, all deep cycle, group
24 used mostly for starting and backup)...in fact Robert may have started
using this procedure after discussing with me...my batteries have remained
onboard ever since I got them about 9 years ago...one other inportant issue
though is to check electrolyte level in fall before that winterizing
charge...if it's low and especially if you can see that any plates are not
covered with electrolyte then replenish with distilled water before
applying the charge...and another  guideline that I find useful as an
indicator is that if in spring after having done absolutely nothing to the
batteries all winter long, a battery has not held most of its charge then
it is likely time to get a new battery...the voltages that Robert reported
measuring in his batteries just lately are characteristic of good lead acid
batteries and about what I would expect to see in my batteries come spring,
maybe a bit lower to around 12.4 but not much if the battery is good.  Such
batteries have started my little M4-30 diesel each spring without further
charging but I will apply a 24 hour slow charge to each before launch. I do
not have shore power so the only charging my batteries see during the
sailing season comes from my alternator...after 9 years on these batteries
no problems yet...I still have incandescent lights throughout and I run an
Adler barbour refrigerator while cruising but not continuously...I also add
ice to my ice box when it is available and we start all cruises with frozen
fresh drinking water in the ice box and frozen meets as well.  Works good
for us in August here in Nova Scotia.

Dwight Veinot
C&C 35 MKII, *Alianna*
Head of St. Margaret's Bay, NS