Myself and 10 other crew helped Derek Hatfield sail his Volvo 60 1,700 nm
from Halifax to Antigua just over a year ago.
Fortunately we hit no reefs, though we did run aground (under power) on the
way into Jolly Harbour in Antigua.
The boat has a long spade keel with a bulb at the bottom and carries about
12 ft of draft.

Our top speed on our trip was about 22 knots, the most I had at the helm was
18 knots.
At that kind of speed it's incredible there weren't serious personal
injuries from the reef grounding situation. Bodies must have gone flying . .
.

On a side note it is not pleasant to be off-shift on that boat in tropical
weather. There is no cabin ventilation whatsoever due to constant wash and
spray, it's very hot inside.

Cheers

Steve Hood
S/V Diamond Girl