Chart kits are OK. PDF print on demand charts are OK. The laminated “fishing
sites” chart is OK. Electronic is not OK.

And the hard part is going to be “updated to the latest Local Notice to
Mariners”, if it ever becomes an issue.

Personally I think the spirit of the requirement isn’t backup if your GPS
goes out. The backup to GPS is a second GPS. Heck, I bought two perfectly
good Magellan handheld GPS units for my ditch bag for $10 at a marine yard
sale last year. The spirit of the requirement is backup if your boat gets
hit by lightning or some other catastrophe that deprives you of electric
power.

And in any event, having some sort of paper chart just makes sense. Your
IPad, smart phone, or expensive plotter with a 12” screen will show you in
great detail what is ½ mile in front of you. But it won’t show you the reef
5 miles ahead. To see the bigger picture, you need the paper chart.

Remember the conversation started because the VOR boat did not see, on their
chart plotter, a reef that covered 500 square miles on a chart.

Rick Brass

Washington, NC