The advantage of running wing on wing is to get the maximum sail area in
clean air. With a genoa of 155% or larger it will sit partially behind the main
downwind  when broad reaching. Not as much with a 135% and smaller.
Running dead down wind in light air wing on wing works great on a 170%
genoa, OK on a 155%, and not great on a 110%. Your 135% is in the grey area.
Also, on the larger jibs you really need a whisker pole to get the best shape
out of it. Helps on the 155%, not needed or the spin pole works fine on a 110%.

To me, somewhere around the 120% - 135% the jib has a PHRF rating problem.
It is not large enough to help out a lot downwind, yet is still large enough to
partially sit in the main's disturbed wind. Going to a 114.9% gives extra PHRF
adjustment and may work as well downwind on a broad reach.

> It seems that in light winds jibing / reaching is not paying off for me.

I can picture that. As you come up towards a beam reach the sails come in, keeps
the jib behind the main and you need a lot more speed to make VMG that you
are not going to get.

Here is something to try. On a light wind day run dead down wind
wing on wing and see what percentage of true wind speed you can get to.
It may be that with 2 - 5 kts true the best you can get to is 50%, ie 1 kt hull
speed
in a 2 kt breeze, 2.5 kts in a 5 kt breeze. It may be linear only from 2 to 4
kts.
You may need to borrow a whisker pole or larger spin pole for the test.

Configure some instrumentation to give you VMG ( maybe a handheld GPS )
and try some different angles on a broad reach. You may find 140 degrees
will be a bit faster. It may not be.

If the best hull speed you can get to is 40% or less of true wind going
wing on wing in light air and VMG is not faster on a broad reach you
may do best with a whisker pole. If you can get to 60% and a bit better
VMG on a broad reach then skip wing on wing and the whisker pole.

The reasoning is that by reaching you need to pick up extra speed, and
hopefully some better apparent wind, to make up for the extra distance.
If the sail plan is not producing enough power in light wind it is hard to
get the speed.

For cruising a 135% on a furler is a good choice. In PHRF, not so much.
Many clubs give a small credit for downsizing to a 135.1% - 145% jib,
maybe +4 NFS. If you are smaller than the 135% you may get +8.
It may be that downwind broad reaching on a 114.9% is not much
slower, but could give you a +18 adjustment.

If wing on wing is advantageous only up to 5 kts true, 3 kts apparent
then you likely do not need a hefty whisker pole. There is not that much
force on a 135% in 3 kts. If you find wing on wing produces the best VMG
up to 10 kts then you need something stronger.

I have the Forespar Line Control 12 - 22.  It is heavy, takes a while to set up.
The advantage of a heavier adjustable whisker pole is that you may use it
to set sail shape on a broad / beam  reach in heavier winds. I do not have a
"jib top"
or sail cut for that. I can also run wing on wing up to 14 kts true. Likely
higher but at some point there is a risk of breaking something, rolling the
pole underwater, who knows what else.

The other thing you can try is "flying" the jib wing on wing. Works in light
air if your spreaders are in line and you can get the boom all the way out.
You will need someone to sit on the boom and control it for safety. What you
will do is cross over the lee so the wind is on the boom ( wrong ) side
but that might hold out the jib and fly it. If you change sheeting position
forward and from the rail you may get good sail shape.

If your course is set up with a windward mark and offset, and if you can
pick up speed while on the beam reach between them there are some tactics
to consider in the first few boat lengths after the rounding. You may find that
the extra boat speed is best used covering distance to the finish. Depends
on how well you "coast". The only advantage to a heavy boat in a light
wind race. Carve by the offset, letting the jib and main out until almost
dead down wind. Then gybe the main and fly the jib.The thought is to be
gentle - don't use the rudder as a brake - and keep the sails filled.
After a few boat lengths you may want to change tactics. It is a bit
like when flying a spinnaker and you get pressure, the skipper heads down.

I guess this is one of the reasons we like the sport, infinite variables and
solutions.

Michael Brown
Windburn
C&C 30-1