David — I’ve had really good luck with these:

http://www.rei.com/product/850679/princeton-tec-vizz-headlamp

Good battery life, and they can be very bright when needed.  Also, the
top-mounted on/off/color/dim switch has a mode where you can lock out
operation, so you don’t accidentally burn the batteries after stuffing the
light into a bag (and accidentally hitting the switch).  The red mode works
great at night on a boat.

Fred Street -- Minneapolis