Yes, a bit of an oxymoron.

So I was happily replacing 15 year old running rigging on my 121 today when I
discovered the boat came with a 4:1 purchase tucked inside the boom for the
outhaul.  Who’d a thunk. Two questions for this knowledgeable group.

Why in the world would I not rip this out a simply run a line from boom end to
cabin top winch?  As is, the outhaul runs from boom end, through the purchase
system, through a sheave, through a turning block at the mast base, through a
deck organizer and finally to a winch on the cabin top.  They weren’t even
particularly good blocks inside the mast.  I would think any mechanical
advantage would be lost to friction  Perhaps it serves a purpose in that the
line won’t jump when taken off the winch.

There has to be a block tucked well into the boom attached at some point with,
I would guess,  a wire lead.  How do you get to it?

All help appreciated

John