My 36 XL/kcb has an identical system and is led to cam cleats above companion
way-winch not required which makes for quick adjustments. PITA to get to--
attach messenger line to aft end of boom out haul line and pull mast end of
system thru. You will probably find the purchase system terminates with shackle
attached inside boom near mast. Remove this shackle and you get the whole
system out. Biggest issue for me was determining proper length of final short
line to mainsail clew. Too long and the 4:1 system 'two blocks' itself with the
system blocks coming together before they tension out haul. Too short and the
final out haul line to the clew can't be tied off. Not run correctly or twisted
during installation and you end up with a FUBAR. Recommend trial and error
starting with longer line to get proper length.
No need to run the out haul line to a winch when you already have 4:1, assuming
that the pit has reasonable leverage on it.

Originally (as delivered) this 4:1 system was part of a 6:1 main sheet purchase
which allowed either 6:1 or 24:1 adjustments. When I re-rigged my main sheet
with a Harken 6:1/24:1 purchase, I used the 4:1 in the boom as described above
for my out haul, eliminating the need in heavy air for leading it to a winch.

Charlie Nelson
Water Phantom
C&C XL/kcb 1995

Sent from my iPhone