My 35/3 has a 4:1 outhaul.  The forward block is on a bolt thru the boom,
and the end of the outhaul is spliced to the becket on that block.  I had
my rigger replace it, as I was afraid I would not be able to get it back
together if I took it apart.  It was the last of the original lines on the
boat.  I think it took 60 feet of line to redo the outhaul.

Joel

On Sun, May 3, 2015 at 7:49 PM, Charles Nelson via CnC-List <
cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

> My 36 XL/kcb has an identical system and is led to cam cleats above
> companion way-winch not required which makes for quick adjustments. PITA to
> get to-- attach messenger line to aft end of boom out haul line and pull
> mast end of system thru. You will probably find the purchase system
> terminates with shackle attached inside boom near mast. Remove this shackle
> and you get the whole system out. Biggest issue for me was determining
> proper length of final short line to mainsail clew. Too long and the 4:1
> system 'two blocks' itself with the system blocks coming together before
> they tension out haul. Too short and the final out haul line to the clew
> can't be tied off. Not run correctly or twisted during installation and you
> end up with a FUBAR. Recommend trial and error starting with longer line to
> get proper length.
> No need to run the out haul line to a winch when you already have 4:1,
> assuming that the pit has reasonable leverage on it.
>
> Originally (as delivered) this 4:1 system was part of a 6:1 main sheet
> purchase which allowed either 6:1 or 24:1 adjustments. When I re-rigged my
> main sheet with a Harken 6:1/24:1 purchase, I used the 4:1 in the boom as
> described above for my out haul, eliminating the need in heavy air for
> leading it to a winch.
>
> Charlie Nelson
> Water Phantom
> C&C XL/kcb 1995
>

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On May 3, 2015, at 5:29 PM, John Pennie via CnC-List <
> cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
> >
> > Yes, a bit of an oxymoron.
> >
> > So I was happily replacing 15 year old running rigging on my 121 today
> when I discovered the boat came with a 4:1 purchase tucked inside the boom
> for the outhaul.  Who’d a thunk. Two questions for this knowledgeable group.
> >
> > Why in the world would I not rip this out a simply run a line from boom
> end to cabin top winch?  As is, the outhaul runs from boom end, through the
> purchase system, through a sheave, through a turning block at the mast
> base, through a deck organizer and finally to a winch on the cabin top.
> They weren’t even particularly good blocks inside the mast.  I would think
> any mechanical advantage would be lost to friction  Perhaps it serves a
> purpose in that the line won’t jump when taken off the winch.
> >
> > There has to be a block tucked well into the boom attached at some point
> with, I would guess,  a wire lead.  How do you get to it?
> >
> > All help appreciated
> >
> > John

Joel
301 541 8551