I can't comment on coring but I can comment on using the right tool for the
job! I invested in a step wrench and I'm glad I did. Without it, removing
the old thru-hulls would have been very difficult or impossible. Even with
the use of the step wrench the old thru-hulls threatened to strip, the
metal was soft. My suggestion to you is wait until the fall haul out. It's
been ok for 31 years it'll probably be ok for another few months. It's not
a huge job or anything but don't underestimate how much time it can take ..
there are *always* gotchas.

Steve
Suhana, C&C 32
Toronto