From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Patrick
Davin via CnC-List
Sent: Wednesday, May 20, 2015 2:19 PM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Patrick Davin
Subject: Stus-List Are original LF38 thru hulls in contact with coring?

My first haul out is coming up in 3 weeks, just for a few days to do some small
tasks like unsticking a seized seacock and maybe installing a new speed
transducer (old Datamarine one is somewhat broken).

I've read Wally's site cover to cover and know he redid his thru hulls reaming
out some core and filling with epoxy (and even glassing over). But were all
model years constructed without that done or did later C&Cs start sealing their
thru hulls better? It's surprising to me that they wouldn't have protected the
core out of the factory.

Do I need to inspect all thru hulls or only prior-owner installed ones? I might
postpone this till the fall since it'll be a big job, just wondering if it's
worth pulling one now (even that I don't expect to be easy).

If all cored C&Cs were installed with coring abutting the thruhull, I'm
surprised it doesn't sound like everyone has redone them (it looks like only 2
or 3 people have asked about it on the list - although more may have done it).
Or is the concern overdone? From the standpoint of "don't mess with it if it
ain't broke" maybe it's better to just do nothing. Except that the plywood
backing plates are wet/decayed, so eventually I'll need to at least do
something with those (which may or may not involve replacing the seacock and
thruhull too).

-Patrick

1984 LF38 "Violet Hour"

Seattle, WA