Hi Tom,

I don't have anything to add to the other comments regarding original source and alternatives. But I will point out that teflon tape is useless as a sealing medium
 in compression fitting applications.
In pipe thread (NPT) applications the thread contact surfaces make the seal, in compression fittings the threads simply afford a clamping force.

In other words, don't try to fix this problem with a thread tape solution.

        Cheers, Russ
        Sweet 35 mk-1