Hi Patrick, I have the ST70 control head (seatalk) for my autopilot,
predecessor to the I70, recently added a triducer for speed, depth, temp. No
additional boxes needed. Just plugged into the backbone. Away we went. I also
have my Standard Horizon chartplotter plugged into the NMEA 0187 connection on
the X10 autopilot control box. Works great.
Doug MountjoysvPegasusLF38 just west of Ballard, WA.

------ Original message------From: Frederick G Street via CnC-List Date: Fri,
May 29, 2015 10:34To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com;Cc: Frederick G Street;Subject:Re:
Stus-List New instruments?Hi, Patrick.  I’ll admit my bias up front; I design
and install marine electrical and electronics systems, and have been a
Raymarine-certified installer.
Okay, that’s out of the way.
Raymarine in the past did have a bit of an issue with network versions; but now
that they’ve settled on SeaTalkNG for most medium-speed data (SeaTalkNG is
basically an NMEA2000 network with one additional wire to support the older
SeaTalk1 data), that’s not much of an issue any more.  I’ve sold a bunch of i70
systems in the last year or two, including several to people on this list.  Ask
them what they think of the i70. The feedback I’ve received so far is
universally positive.  The i70 will repeat/display just about any NMEA2000 data
available on the network.  That data can come from “dumb” analog transducers by
running them through an inexpensive ITC-5 instrument converter.  Often the old
speed/depth transducers you currently have in your boat can work this way; and
even wind, if you have an older Raymarine wind transducer.
You can also go the route of “smart” transducers; the DST800 depth/speed/temp
triducer works great this way, and only requires one hole for the transducer.
Currently, Raymarine wind transducers do require a converter like the ITC-5 to
be used on a SeaTalkNG/NMEA2000 network.  You could go with another
manufacturer’s “smart” wind transducer, but then you lose the ability to
calibrate the transducer.
I’m surprised at the answers you got from Ray’s tech support people; they’re
usually much better than that.
B&G makes nice stuff; but you’re probably going to pay a bit more, as the
distribution network for sales of B&G is much smaller than other manufacturers;
and that also makes it harder to get support.  B&G is part of Simrad, and tends
to gear their equipment towards the racing market (where they can command a
premium price).  You could spend less and get Simrad, with many of the same
features.  Or go with Raymarine.
I can source Raymarine, Furuno, Simrad and other gear for people on the C&C
list at dealer prices; let me know off-list if you’d like to talk further about
this.
— Fred

Fred Street -- Minneapolis
S/V Oceanis (1979 C&C Landfall 38) -- Bayfield, WI
On May 29, 2015, at 10:56 AM, Patrick Davin via CnC-List