Patrick Wesley via CnC-List wrote:
Several years ago I noticed a leak in the cabin roof under the place where the chain-plate tie rod goes up to meet with the deck fitting u bolt to which the shrouds are attached. The fibreglass guy sealed the leak. Several weeks ago I noticed a white deposit (calcium–like) on the tie rod at the top and asked a rigger to check it out. He says that the tie rods are aluminum and corrode when moisture gets to them. First they push the deck up (which he says is already happening) and then they pull the u bolt down; this part needs further explanation. Repairs estimated from $1,300 to $2,000, doing both port and starboard sides. I’ve told him I will either repair the rods or sell the boat with disclosure, but will not ignore the problem.

My dilemma is the usual one, how long do I continue to put money into an older boat, especially as I’m 75. However I’d rather sell the boat because I can no longer sail it than because I can no longer afford it! Gives me a lot of pleasure and keeps me active and motivated.

Anyway, I wonder if anyone has any advice to offer, would appreciate the feed-back.

Patrick,

On my '78 36 footer, the only aluminum that I had was the cover plate around the chain plates and it was corroding, making it impossible to keep sealant around the hole where the the plates pass through the deck. I slacked the rigging, took the chain plates off to re-seal the area and brought the covers home where I made new ones out of 1/8" stainless steel. I can't say that I've ever seen a boat with aluminum chain plates but in my case there was no cost to repair other than my labour and time.

Bill (also 75)
Caprice 1