Agree. Do the repair, (maybe get a 2nd quote if you think this one is high?)
list the boat, and sail till the sale.

What size boat and where is it , are important

----- Original Message -----

From: "Sam Salter via CnC-List" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: "Sam Salter" <sam.c.sal...@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, June 1, 2015 10:57:11 PM
Subject: Re: Stus-List Rigging/chain-plate tie-rods

Patrick,

$2k is a small price to pay for all the future enjoyment you can potentially
get out of "The Boat"
Unless you were thinking of selling and getting out of sailing before this
discovery, I'd invest the money.
It won't increase the value of the boat, but it sure will make you happy when
you're out there sailing.
If you get rid of the boat you'll end up going to Bingo nights and bus tours of
Bouchard Gardens.
A slippery slope my friend; a slippery slope!

Sam :-)
C&C 26 Liquorice
Ghost Lake Alberta

On 2015-06-01, at 6:15 PM, Patrick Wesley via CnC-List < cnc-list@cnc-list.com
> wrote:

Several years ago I noticed a leak in the cabin roof under the place where the
chain-plate tie rod goes up to meet with the deck fitting u bolt to which the
shrouds are attached. The fibreglass guy sealed the leak. Several weeks ago I
noticed a white deposit (calcium–like) on the tie rod at the top and asked a
rigger to check it out. He says that the tie rods are aluminum and corrode when
moisture gets to them. First they push the deck up (which he says is already
happening) and then they pull the u bolt down; this part needs further
explanation. Repairs estimated from $1,300 to $2,000, doing both port and
starboard sides. I’ve told him I will either repair the rods or sell the boat
with disclosure, but will not ignore the problem.

My dilemma is the usual one, how long do I continue to put money into an older
boat, especially as I’m 75. However I’d rather sell the boat because I can no
longer sail it than because I can no longer afford it! Gives me a lot of
pleasure and keeps me active and motivated.

Anyway, I wonder if anyone has any advice to offer, would appreciate the
feed-back.