  From: Patrick Wesley via CnC-List
  To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
  Cc: Patrick Wesley
  Sent: Monday, June 01, 2015 8:15 PM
  Subject: Re: Stus-List Rigging/chain-plate tie-rods

    Several years ago I noticed a leak in the cabin roof under the place where
the chain-plate tie rod goes up to meet with the deck fitting u bolt to which
the shrouds are attached. The fibreglass guy sealed the leak. Several weeks ago
I noticed a white deposit (calcium–like) on the tie rod at the top and asked a
rigger to check it out. He says that the tie rods are aluminum and corrode when
moisture gets to them. First they push the deck up (which he says is already
happening) and then they pull the u bolt down; this part needs further
explanation. Repairs estimated from $1,300 to $2,000, doing both port and
starboard sides. I’ve told him I will either repair the rods or sell the boat
with disclosure, but will not ignore the problem.

  My dilemma is the usual one, how long do I continue to put money into an
older boat, especially as I’m 75. However I’d rather sell the boat because I
can no longer sail it than because I can no longer afford it! Gives me a lot of
pleasure and keeps me active and motivated.

  Anyway, I wonder if anyone has any advice to offer, would appreciate the
feed-back.