Oh my gosh, that was me.

Once upon a time, in a land far far away, I got really into doing everything as perfect as possible. Then I was forced to make compromises, because I was never actually going to go cruising if I didn't finish off the list. So structurally sound was the top priority, and cosmetics came second.

I have a great deal of home made teak work on board <http://www.wbryant.com/StellaBoat/Projects/trickwood/trkwd.htm> and after some time just used straight Minwax Marine Spar Varnish. (I would *not* use it on the exterior. 'Spar' is a marketing term for Minwax.) As it ages it gets darker and redder, and after 10 years I can't tell the difference. I suppose if you look really close you can tell, but I don't care and no one has ever commented on it.

The most important thing is to get the job done well and go sailing.

Wal