Ok, so I have been down this road and it took me several year to figure it
out.  If your boat is like mine (35 Mk II), you have a transverse tank
under the cockpit.  The pickup is on the starboard end.  When the tank is
about 1/2 full and you heel the boat about 30 degrees to port, the fuel
pick up will come out of the fuel, and suck air.  My solution was to put in
a new pickup tube that was longer and bent in such a way to move the pickup
to the center of the tank.  With the pickup in the center, the angle of the
tank no longer matters.  Now screwing in a pickup that is bent is the
trick.  Contact me off list if you think this is the problem, and I will
describe how to solve it.

Gary
S/V Expresso
'75 C&C 35 Mk II