My tanks are ~20 gallons each and if they seem clean (no smells or tastes)
then I'll put 1 tbsp of bleach in the fill hose prior to filling.  I let
the water run from the fill hose for quite a while prior to filling the
tanks.  If the tank has gotten sour and needs disinfected then I'll use 2
tbsp prior to fill.  Too much chlorine will ruin rubber components in the
plumbing system.  1 tbsp does not add a significant taste or smell but 2
will.  Remember to use unscented, pure bleach.

I think advice to replace the pipes is simply an age thing.  If one is
leaking, how long will it take for them all to leak?  I subscribe to a
different school of thought, if it ain't broke don't fix it!

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD