If your winches have seen a lot of use, I suggest you have them knurled.

Mine (Lewmar STs #30 and #50) had ~ 15 years of use and I had them re-knurled
with a simple vertical 'scoring' pattern of 'medium' harshness for $30 each.
Too much 'harshness' will chew up your line.

They now hold as if new although in a breeze we always use more wraps.

Charlie Nelson
Water Phantom
C&C 36XL/kcb

Sent from my iPad