From: David Knecht via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
To: CnC CnC discussion list <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: David Knecht <davidakne...@gmail.com>
Sent: Mon, Oct 5, 2015 10:30 am
Subject: Re: Stus-List self-tailing winch problem

Hi Josh- great info!

On Oct 5, 2015, at 10:08 AM, Josh Muckley via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
wrote:

David,
The screws which Joel mentioned are, from my experience, a type of cap screw.
You might want to remove them one at a time and lube them with tef-gel, or
anti-seeze.  If they get stuck they break.  If they are over torqued they
break.  If they are not fully tightened or the springs are old or the line is
too small of a diameter then line won't stay in.
As long a the above three conditions are met then the problem you are having is
with the friction on the drum.  It sounds like those three conditions are met
since you only experienced this problem in heavy winds.  As mentioned extra
wraps should help add friction.  Additionally a machine shop can re-knurl the
drum.  You can also add a sleeve to the jib sheet.  If you have the crew to do
so, try having them not use the self-tailer to winch in on the tacks.  See how
much pressure the tailer needs to apply before the winch slips.  The tailer
should only have to apply moderate tension.  If they are really pulling you
need another wrap (or 2).  If you have 4 or 5 wraps and the winch still slips
then you need more friction.  Sleeving the sheet is probably a little cheaper
and will make the line better on the hand.  You can also do it yourself.  If
you still find that it takes 4 or more wraps I would start looking for a
machine shop.  I have one in mind if you are interested.

We had 4 wraps on the drum so I am thinking friction on the drum.  I don’t know
what re-knurling means and don’t know if any shop would know how to do this.
Also, I have not found a good machine shop in my area.  What shop did you have
in mind?  What would you sleeve the sheet with?  Dave

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD