I'm looking for advice on a situation that arose yesterday. I have a 34 with a
3GMD diesel with raw water cooling. I motored for about 45 minutes at 2000 rpm
and then shut the engine down. Everything was running smoothly. The temp gauge
showed the normal 100 degrees and I could hear water from the exhaust. I sailed
for about half hour but then lost the wind and turned the motor on. The high
temp alarm stayed on and the gauge showed 140 degrees.  I shut it down and
checked the water filter, which looked fine. I tried starting it a couple more
times with the same result, so I sailed back to my harbor. When I went to start
it, everything worked fine again, and I ran the motor for a good 30 minutes
with no issues. The gauge stayed at 100 the whole time and no alarm.

I initially thought it might have been the impeller (which is about 1.5 years
old right now), but when the problem arose I didn't check for the sound of
exhaust water. Since it was working back at the harbor, I don't think the
impeller was bad. I'm starting to think that the sending unit malfunctioned and
then reset itself somehow but that's never happened before.

I'm not sure what temp triggers the high temp alarm and whether the same
sending unit goes to both the alarm and the gauge.

Am I missing something obvious?
Were there other steps I should have taken to diagnose it? I was of course
concerned to run the engine for long if it was overheating.
What next steps should I take, since everything seems fine right now.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Al Serrato
C & C 34
Fidelity