Al,

This sounds like a similar problem I experienced with my old C&C 29 which had a
raw water cooled 2QM15.    The alarm only came on only after the engine was
shutdown for a short period of time and then restarted.   I would even let the
engine cool at idle speed for a good few minutes before shutting down.  I tried
many things, and listened to may good suggestions (air lock, pump wear, …), but
in the end the problem turned out to be a bad thermostat sender.

Maybe that’s your issue too.  Do you have a separate sender for the alarm and
for the gauge? If so, then it is unlikely that both would be bad.  But if not,
I would start there.

Paul

-
Paul E.