I put 7 coats of Interprotect 2000E on the bottom 10 years ago and the bottom is fine......don't apply a barrier coat immediately after haulout......let the bottom dry for 6 months.

There are lots of boats at our club that have had the same thing done with no problems. Like most jobs, if it's done right, there should be no problem.

One of the local brokers, Ocean Yacht Sales, uses a barrier coat on older boats as a 'sales feature' to prospective clients. I had my boat surveyed last week (insurance required) and the surveyor felt the barrier coat was a 'positive' not a 'negative' when told how it was done.

Rob Abbott
AZURA
C&C 32 - 84
Halifax, N.S.

On 2015-10-21 7:44 PM, Fred Hazzard via CnC-List wrote:

I spoke the yard today about barrier coating. Their experience was it trapped moisture which causes the barrier coat to fail.

Fred Hazzard
S/V Fury
C&C 44
Portland, Or

On Oct 21, 2015 1:26 PM, "David Knecht via CnC-List" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com <mailto:cnc-list@cnc-list.com>> wrote:

    I am planning to strip all the old bottom paint off this fall and
    repaint in the spring.  I have two questions for the list:

    1.  I have two quotes now- the higher uses walnut shells and the
    lower uses crushed recycled glass in water.  Both claim gentle on
    the gelcoat and little followup prep needed for painting.  Anyone
    have any comments or experience with the two technologies?

    2.  I had originally planned to barrier coat before bottom
    painting, but the last time this issue was discussed, it seemed
    that for a 1990 era C&C, it should not need barrier coating.  That
    would dramatically reduce the amount of painting next spring if I
    don’t need to put on multiple barrier coats.  Do people agree that
    it is not needed?  Compromise of a few coats?  Thanks- Dave

    Aries
    1990 C&C 34+
    New London, CT