Seconded...

David F. Risch
1981 40-2
(401) 419-4650 (cell)

Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 11:03:07 -0500
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Subject: Re: Stus-List The platform question
From: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
CC: e...@schillay.com

Marek,
I spoke with Stu about the site and list at the Northeast Rendezvous and he
said he’s not planning to end anytime soon — great news for us.
Nevertheless, when that time does come, I would be happy to take over if
everyone, especially Stu, is agreeable to the idea.

All the best,
Edd

Edd M. SchillayStarship EnterpriseC&C 37+ | Sail No: NCC-1701-BCity Island, NY
Starship Enterprise's Captain's Log

On Nov 2, 2015, at 5:54 PM, Marek Dziedzic via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
wrote:I would second that. You do a really good job, Stu, and we all appreciate
it. I think the idea of a periodic fund drive is quite good. If I may suggest
something, I would say that another good idea would be to find someone who
could step up, when Stu is no longer able to continue. From a simple IT
perspective a backup plan would certainly help. MarekC&C-less, but still
finding a lot of good information here
On Nov 2, 2015 1:37 PM, "Stu via CnC-List" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:Just a
bit of history on our list and what the future holds. Back in the mid 90’s,
when most of us had dial-up internet connections, we had a mailing list hosted
by Sailnet.  They went through some financial difficulties, and decided to
charge a $20 yearly fee to participate.  That upset a lot of people, not only
C&Cers, but other groups.  Everybody dropped off the list.  Some people decided
to start Forums and social networking sites on Yahoo and other places.  Nothing
worked like our old list. People were losing contact with each other and we
needed a new venue.  I decided to find an ISP that would host a mailing list
program and not limit us to a certain number of emails per hour.  Believe me
they are hard to find and prices were outrageous.  Finally I found our current
host and we have been with them for over 10 years. Then someone came along with
a suggestion for a Forum similar to Sailing Arnachy and even Sailnet.  I did
not like what I saw but I installed a Forum on the Photo Album.  Response was
slow to nil.  Everyone posted on this list and very few people went to the
Forum.  Finally I took it down – no sense wasting disc space and bandwidth.
During the past few years, I have had many, many compliments regarding the
email list.  Several comments included the politeness of the subscribers; no
politics, sex, religion, bashing or flaming.  A few people had left the C&C
family but continue to be subscribers and offer their valuable info.  The list
has people who do not own a C&C and contribute when and where they can. So, the
subject of having a Forum is a done deal.  It is of no use to the present
subscribers.  Each week there are new subscribers and very few people who
unsubscribe.  Right now, we have over 700 subscribers and I have no intention
of disappointing them. I pay for the list out of my own pocket and from
contributions from our members.  There is no company supporting the list.  The
only time that this list will shut down, is when the funds dry up or I go for
my last sail to the heavens above.  The cost has gone up considerably since the
start and as the archives grow, I get dinged for extra disc space plus the
monthly charge for the hosting. For people who have difficulty searching the
archives, go to the main page of the Photo Album, scroll down near the bottom
and there is a box called “Search the Email Discussion List Archives”, enter
your search word(s) and press GO.  The search is actually a Google Search of
all the archives and you will get many pages of results.  It is not like
looking at the list archives which I will admit are difficult to navigate. Hope
this email will help everyone understand the Email Discussion List a little bit
more and appreciate it even more. Stu – and just another short note – I do not
own a C&C and have not been on one in over 5 years but the friendship from this
list keeps me going.