If the gelcoat damage is just chips, you might consider gelpaste.  Spectrum
color makes very nice gelpaste in many custom colors.  Gelpaste fixes dings
and chips very well.

Unfortunately, I have no clue which color works best on our boats.  They
only have tinted gelpaste for newer boats, like 2006 and newer.  If it were
me, I'd wander around and find a newer boat that seems close to mine and
see if Spectrum Color has a gelpaste for that boat.  You can go to a paint
store and get samples to compare.

Dennis C.