Danny

The PO bought the boom for us, along with an electric winch for the mail
halyard/furling line.  Unfortunately, he went with a crappy loft for the
mainsail.  As a result, I had to have the main rebuilt twice since we got Alera
in 2012.  Batten ends were too far off the luff tape and the batten angles were
all off.  So, I'm not sure I have had the full benefit of the rig yet.  But I'm
pretty sure I will going forward.

That said, here are a few things I have learned.

Furling is a joy.  Just reef down one batten at a time.

The rigid vans limits the ability to tune the main. But, my furling in the mail
without slacking the halyard you can flatten the sail nicely.

Also, adjusting the curve of the mast w a baby stay or adjustable back stays
works some too.

Speaking of the vang, make sure you hit the 87 degree angle dead on. Otherwise
the sail will bunch and the battens will not roll into the boom correctly.

Lynn and I double Alera all the time and I think this will allow us to stay
sailing into our 70's.

Tom B

Tom Buscaglia
S/V Alera