I was thinking the exact same thing regarding a windlass and the need for
starting if you split up the home bank leaving one bank(or just one battery)
aft for emergency starting.

As suggested, you should protect the wires at the battery, but rather than
adding breakers, I suggest using a battery switch close to and MRBF terminal
fuse blocks right on the battery.  Here is a great link :
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/743190-post1.html

Waytek  has great prices.  Same product as Blue Sea but less than half the
cost.   (http://www.waytekwire.com/products?pSearch=mrbf)

-
Paul E.
1981 C&C 38 Landfall