Bob,
For what it's worth, I have 5 group 31 batteries in my LF 38, one in the
forward end of the starboard lazarette (starting battery), two under the nav
seat (house bank 1) with the Electroscan, and two under the port quarterberth
(house bank 2). There are two big red bank switches, one separates the two
house banks, and on separates both of the house banks from the starter. The
alternator and the solar panel both charge house bank 1, and there's a diode
equivalent of an echo charger that allows the starting battery to charge even
when it is isolated from the house banks. I recently put in a 12 gallon holding
tank, but it is in what used to be storage just forward of the head - I don't
have a shower. This works well. First, I find the electroscan very useful in
the Bay, pump outs are rare, the waste is disinfected, and it's legal, at least
for now. Far as I can tell, weight distribution is not an issue. The boat is
quite competitive in my club as long as the bottom's clean, even though I have
only cruising (heavy dacron) sails of less than max size.

Dan SheerPegathy LF38Rock Creek off the Patapsco