A few weeks ago I started a thread about the rust on my keel bolt washers
<http://www.boatjuggler.com/images/pic2.jpg>.

Today, I bit the bullet and removed one keelbolt with the boat in the water
with a 3 ft breaker bar extended with a pipe. The nut seemed to still have
the right torque, and came out once I applied the force in the right
direction :)

I was able to peel off the corroded washer/backing plate with a screwdriver
and a hammer.

The bolt threads were clean (pic 5)
<http://www.boatjuggler.com/images/pic5.jpg> . So was the nut l (pic 9)
<http://www.boatjuggler.com/images/pic9.jpg> . It was all stainless steel.
I did not get a chance to test the magnetism. I will do tomorrow.

At no point was a hint of water seepage.

Whatever was left as the rusted plate under the washer is in this picture
<http://www.boatjuggler.com/images/pic13.jpg>. It looks like an iron
backing plate <http://www.boatjuggler.com/images/pic14.jpg>. It is very
magnetic.

All I had was galvanized washers. So I put the good stainless steel washer
to the bottom added 2 galvanized washers and a galvanized lock washer and
tightened  the nut back to approx, 200 lbs-ft
<http://www.boatjuggler.com/images/pic11.jpg>.

Probably useless, but I put some boat-life under the stainless washer which
probably got totally squeezed out. In the picture
<http://www.boatjuggler.com/images/pic12.jpg> you can not see the stainless
washer because it is thinner and hidden behind the silicon.

There is a slight bulge at the base of the keel bolt.

*Repair plan:*
I am planning to use:

   - Marine-Tex just  to flatten out the bilge area, probably max 1/4
   inches in the deepest areas,
   - use  a layer of 3m 4200
   - a  4 by 4 by 1 inch G-10 board as a backing plate
   - followed with triple 316 stainless washers.

Does it look like overkill ? Should I just use 1/2 inch thick G-10 boards ?

I will keep an eye on the galvanized washers. I am not very comfortable
mixing galvanized with stainless.

Now that I have sort of an idea what is under the nuts, I will complete the
job for the other washers when I pull the rest of the nuts out while on the
dry next spring.

If someone sees something wrong in all these (*besides removing the nut
while in the water, which seems to be a very contested subject*  ) please
feel free to scold me :)

Thank You

*Ahmet*

*Winthrop Yacht Club / Constitution Marina, Boston, MA*

*1990 Irwin 43 CC "Waterdancer"*

*1973 C&C 25 "Tabasco"*

Ahmet
*"S/V Waterdancer"* 1990 Irwin 43 CC