Ahmet;

As I said before, I replaced the original steel backing plates (if I recall,
they were more like steel fender washers) on my 25 when she was a bit over 20
years old. I had some square backing plates made out of 3/16” or ¼” stainless.
About 3 or 4 inches square and with the proper sized holes drilled in the
middle.  A local machine shop could probably knock out the 5 or 6 plates you
will need in not much more than an hour – or you might get a friend with a
suitable shop in his garage to do it for the price of a 12 pack. I think I put
a bead of 4200 under each plate when I torqued them down, but I suspect that
was actually overkill.

Were I to do the same job today, I would go to Fastenall, or another industrial
hardware supplier, and buy a stack of stainless fender washers of the
appropriate sizes and just put two washers under each nut and retorque the nuts.

Proper torque on the nut is very important. I think I borrowed or rented a
torque wrench and a torque multiplier from a local NAPA store when I did my
project. The photo album has a listing of the proper torque values.

If you had no leakage when you removed the nut, the sealant between the top of
the keel and the keel stub is still doing its job after 40-some years. Proper
torque on the keel boats will keep it so. Sealant on the inside of the joint is
probably not going to keep any leakage out. But sealant between the washers and
the bolt in the presence of water in the bilge is a potential recipe for
crevice corrosion that will weaken the bolt.

If your boat is like mine, that may not be a concern. Belle is a very dry boat.
Every 6 months or so I clean out the bilge – usually with a sponge. I don’t
recall having accumulated more than an inch of water in the bilge since I
refinished and rebidded the handrails and added some butyl around the chain
plates a decade or more ago.

I would personally be a bit leery of using the G10 as a backing material. You
have a lot of compression under the nuts, but you also might have shock loading
if you ever run aground, and a fair bit of torsional loading as the boat heels
and moves in the waves while sailing. I think stainless would be a stronger and
more conservative choice.

Rick Brass

Imzadi  C&C 38 mk 2

la Belle Aurore C&C 25 mk1