From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Hoyt,
Mike via CnC-List
Sent: Thursday, November 26, 2015 8:24 AM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Hoyt, Mike <mike.h...@impgroup.com>
Subject: Re: Stus-List substitution of depth transducers

I will second that.  Last year I installed i50/i60 to replace the old B&G
1000 system on the boat.  It was difficult but not impossible and really not
all that long a time to remove the old transducers.  There is usually a
flange on the exterior which I cut under with a sharp knife and then I
slowly pried them out.  Along with the prying from outside I also placed a
block of wood over the edge of transducer inside and tapped (rather hard
tapping) with a hammer. They came out without damage to either transducer or
the boat.  After removal I subsequently found out that the transducers
themselves were only 2 or three years old despite the instruments being
antiques.  Oh well.

The holes on the old transducers were smaller than those for the new ones.
I screwed a block of thin plywood in place on the interior to act as a guide
for the drill bit on hole saw and then drilled out the larger hole.  Had I
left the old transducers in place then likely the transducer itself could
have been used for the drill bit of the hole saw ....

Note that the hull is a whole lot tougher than the transducers.

Also note that you tend not to change engine oil and leave in old filter so
why would you add nice new instruments and use old transducers that may be
prone to failure other than as a way to avoid hauling a boat to do the work?

BTW.  Old and especially old and non functioning instruments on a boat are a
pet peeve of mine.  The original owners of these boats spent a lot of time
and money to outfit the boats properly and it is the least we can do when
buying a nice boat for a fraction of its actual worth to treat the old gals
properly.  Same goes for 30 year old sails.

Mike
Persistence
1987 Frers 33
Halifax, NS