Russ — there actually IS a way to test depth transducers out of the water.
Hook it up and turn on the depth instrument, then put an AM radio near the
transducer, turn it on and tune it away from a station to static.  If you then
hear a regular “tick-tick-tick” sound coming out of the radio which gets louder
as you get the radio closer to the transducer, then the transducer is working.

— Fred

Fred Street -- Minneapolis