Got it, thanks.
Bill Walker

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

On Saturday, December 19, 2015 Josh Muckley via CnC-List
<cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

A clamp on inverter is temporary and more powerful than a cigarette lighter
inverter but still considerably less powerful than a permanent installation
type.  It has jumper cable clamps for attaching to the battery studs.  The
following is just one example.

BESTEK 2 AC Outlets 1000W Power Inverter with Battery Clamps and Car Cigarette
Lighter Plug
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007SLDDHQ/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_NGwDwbG6XRHSP

To my surprise, my marine surveyor actually advised against permanent
installation style inverters.  He explained that a typical 2000w inverter can
draw so much current that a "proper" and safe install is challenging.  He had
apparently seen quite a few fires as a result of bad inverters or poor
installations (inadequate conductor size, insufficient cooling, too small of a
battery bank).  He advised that most appliances can be found in 12v variants
and are more efficient.  If/when the occasional need (xmas lights) for 120v
presents itself a clamp-on is what he recommended.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD