Hi Danny,

Can I ask who did the walnut stripping on your boat and at which yard?  I'm
having my "new" 1983 Landfall 35 brought down from the North Shore of Mass
to the South Coast in early January and the bottom paint is flaking off in
chunks, revealing the shiny original gel coat underneath in most places.  I
would say that the paint over shiny gel coat method was not terribly
effective for adhesion.

  Speaking to the service manager at Concordia about soda blasting, he tells
me that the soda medium leaves a very rough finish on the bottom that takes
a significant amount of labor to prep the bottom afterwards to allow bottom
paint go on nice and smooth.  Perhaps he was also implying that the boat
should have a barrier coat added as well. either way, with soda blasting and
subsequent bottom prep, we were talking  in excess of $5000.

  With that info, I had planned to chip off as much of the old paint as
possible, sand down the rest using and orbital sander with a vacuum
attachment, leaving just enough "tooth" on the gel coat hull surface to
repaint.  It would be a lot of work, but I could do it in my yard and build
my upper body strength at the same time!

However, the walnut shell medium sounds like it may be the ticket if it is
less invasive to the gel coat than soda blast and if I basically want to
start with a blank canvas of a hull to prep and paint.   Would love to hear
from others that have used the walnut shell method and what they've done to
prep afterwards.

Best,

Chuck Gilchrest

S/V Half Magic