I agree that it is a “what’s important to you” issue, but for me the weight
aloft isn’t a real concern. The antenna weighs 10-15 pounds and up near the
second spreader would be 35 feet off the deck. I don’t see that as all that
significant because I don’t race any more.

For me the tradeoff is maximum range (having the antenna high gets you out over
the horizon so you can get 16, 24, or more miles of range) vs the ability to
see things close by (like channel markers less than ¼ mile away) when entering
a harbor or negotiating a fog bank. The high mounted antenna looks over the top
of the smaller targets that are close in. The low mount antenna sees the close
in targets better, but at the expense of limiting the range at which you see
shorter targets like small boats or low lying shores.

I have a 16 mile radar, with the antenna mounted on a pole supported by a radar
arch, and the antenna is about 14 feet above the water. From that height the
horizon is only about 4.5 NM, and I can see a medium sized fishing boat at
about 7 or 8 miles. A freighter is taller so I can pick it up farther away.
But more important for me, I can see channel markers inside of ¼ mile away.

If the antenna were 30 or 35 feet above the water, I’d probably pick up the
fishing boat at near 16 miles, but the radar beam would just pass over the top
of the channel markers and not return an echo.

Rick Brass

Washington, NC