Mike,

One other option for mounting the radar is to utilize a  gimbaled backstay
mount , which allows the mount to be sufficiently high above head height and
has the advantage of self levelling the dome to orient with the horizon.  It is
a less invasive mount that doesn’t require additional holes to be drilled in
the mast and is far simpler than installing a separate mast to be supported at
the stern of the boat.  If you unstep your mast in the winter, a back stay
mount would require the radar dome be reset on the mount each time you
re-commission the boat and the gimballed mounts tend to be pricey.  Another
issue of mounting your dome behind the mast, either on the backstay or on a
separate mast, is that the sailboat mast will be viewed as a target on the
readout and can cause a blind spot in the center of your direction of travel.
Not ideal..

  I’d say that here on the East Coast, the majority of radar use occurs when
motoring in fog or during nighttime when visibility is low.  Those that sail in
heavily travelled shipping lanes tend to want to know what is on the horizon as
well as what is in close.  If you use the radar while sailing in breeze,
keeping the dome level creates fewer blind spots due to a tilted dome looking
down at the water on the leeward side of the boat and the windward side
pointing up into the sky.

I’ve also heard that the 3G and 4G domes by Simrad/B&G/Lowrance use a different
band of radar waves that are supposedly less harmful if mounted at head level
on the boat.  But perhaps I shouldn’t believe everything I read in the glossy
magazines…

So again I’ve created more questions than answers…

Chuck Gilchrest