If you are reasonably handy then you can install it. Best to drop the mast, but it can be done mast up if you can keep the forestay. And keeping the forestay will depend on what furler you go with, I've got a Harken cruising unit #1, had to change the forestay when I installed it.

I'd go with a new sail, but then it is really easy to recommend to someone else that they spend their money...

Graham Collins
Secret Plans
C&C 35-III #11

On 2016-01-05 10:24 PM, Curtis via CnC-List wrote:
I have mostly light winds here in Beaufort SC.
So out to 150% or at least a 135% would be best.
But, Can I install it? do I keep my forstay?

On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 9:11 PM, Joel Aronson via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com <mailto:cnc-list@cnc-list.com>> wrote:

    Congrats!
    My 2 cents:

    15 - 25 year old sails are shot.  I don't know what your wind
    conditions are like, but I would buy a Harken furler and a good
    Dacron sail that covers most of your wind conditions.    Partially
    furled sails are not great upwind, but are fine for cruising.
    It will cost several hundred dollars each to convert the old
    sails.  You might be better off picking up a used #3 and
    converting the #1 or vice versa depending on condition.
    You can stay within your budget if you shop around.
    If you are happy with the sock, keep it.

    Joel.

    On Tuesday, January 5, 2016, Curtis via CnC-List