From: Josh Muckley via CnC-List
Sent: Wednesday, January 6, 2016 00:45
To: C&C List
Cc: Josh Muckley
Subject: Re: Stus-List Furler system

Curtis,

I installed a Furlex 200s on my last boat. The rigger/sail maker that sold it
to me evidently was not supposed to allow me to install it myself. I think that
for the same price he would have done the work. I just like DIY. The 200s is
their smallest furler and would probably be sufficient for your application. I
really like the design A LOT! One thing to consider is the annual maintenance.
With Harken, the delrin bearings don't require anything but a freshwater rinse
and some mclube. Furlex has SS bearings which are supposed to be fresh water
rinsed and greased. SS seems more durable but heavier and requires more-ish
maintenance. A Furlex comes with a new headstay which, if you decide to install
yourself, can be easily made up and terminated with the included swageless
fitting. Really nice. Well engineered. I paid ~1200 for the furler and then
after installation had a sail made for ~$1300.

BTW the headstay is a single point vulnerability which could cause a loss of
the mast. If it hasn't been replaced, it probably should be. I would take this
opportunity to upsize the wire. I'm currently having the rod rigging in my 30
year old furler replaced. Upsized from #12 to #17 Navteq rod. Break strength
from 12500 to 17500 and only about 3 lbs heavier. Just piece of mind.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD