I had a wired remote mic on my old Catalina 27 with a tiller.  That never
worked very well for me because the cord kept getting in the way.  When I
bought Firewater, I installed the Simrad RS25, which is the predecessor to the
35.  It has the wireless remote, but not AIS.  At that time, the boat had no
wiring going to the pedestal and I was not wild about drilling the hole in the
cockpit floor for the first wires.  I have since put a Triton display at the
helm, so I would be more comfortable with the wired mic if I were buying it
today.

We have liked the convenience of the wireless, though you do have to monitor
battery usage.  We do mostly racing and short cruises so it has not been a big
deal for us.  The sound quality on the 25 remote mic has been great, no
complaints.  With regard to keeping it on board, I bought one of these:

http://mobility.snapitproducts.com/snapit-marine/products/v007/v007-handheld-electronics-device-holder

to mount at the helm.  The mic is either in someone’s hand or in the holder and
we have not had any issues.

Regards,

Jim Reinardy

C&C 30-2 “Firewater”