Anywhere around here Mike, there are lots more advantages to a smaller
headsail like a 110 versus a 135, especially a RF sail, for anything
but racing and I would never start a race on my boat with and RF 135,
however if racing a good heavy wind 150 is a must have sail...a light
air 150 has it's times uses but not that often, I have both of which
neitehr are roller furling, old sails but in great condition, I hardly
ever have them on board, last time was about 10 years ago...generally
speaking for short handed cruising and for a roller furling headsail
on any 1970's / 80's C&C design I would recommend something less than
a 135% headsail unless I was sailing in predominantly light air
venues, under 15 apparent mostly...that said I seldom sail without my
main sail and if sailing with only one sail in heavy air I choose the
main simply because it is more comfortable sailing with less heel and
more control, tacking is a breeze, same for jibing...Alianna can get
up to 6 kts COG at 35 degrees to apparent wind upwind on main alone on
many days here in St. Margaret's...I have an almost new 135% but most
times I wish it were a 110...recommendation for you, race on Dave's
boat, set yours up for comfortable cruising...yes I know the frers 33
has a high speed potential, considered the design very seriously
before I purchased Alianna, sorry but I am glad I went with the C&C
design, something about lead keels I like and the solid construction
of the old C&C 's built in the 70"s back when Big George was doing the
designs and marine carpenters were actually building interiors with
teak really appealed to me...different stokes for different folks i
guess
Dwight Veinot
C&C 35 MKII, Alianna
Head of St. Margaret's Bay, NS