From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Chuck
Gilchrest via CnC-List
Sent: Monday, January 25, 2016 5:12 PM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Chuck Gilchrest
Subject: Re: Stus-List C&C Spinnaker Pole Lift install

Alex,
I own a C&C 25 and had slowly been acquiring the poles and pieces to fly the
used symmetric spinnaker I bought several years back.    While having a padeye
on deck for your downhaul may be ideal, I found it easier to use a block
shackled to the mast step on deck and lead the downhaul to it and back to the
cockpit.  I do find having a track for the spinnaker pole to be important,
mostly because I also have a whisker pole for the Genoa for cruising class
racing or casual shorthanded sailing and the inboard pole height is very
different (lower) for a 150 genoa that it is for my spinnaker.
At the end of the day, unless you are doing a heck of a lot of dead downwind
sailing specifically for racing, you may be better served with buying a used
asymmetric spinnaker that will use a masthead halyard and no other specialized
poles, fittings or hardware that require more holes in decks and masts
(generally not the best thing for 30+ year old boats anyway).  Since you’d
rarely fly an A-Sail along with your Jib, it would also eliminate the need for
a second set of cockpit winches and the sail would be much easier to deploy
when shorthanded which means you would use it more.
Best regards,
Chuck Gilchrest
Half Magic
1975 mk1